NYC on my own

NYC is a big place to tackle by yourself, especially if you are not used to the BIG city. Usually I go with a curly headed man, and I can rely on him to do things like hold my bag, find good pizza, walk on the side of the street and fend me from my fear of rats and homeless people. Today I was alone. I had a meeting in the city so had to go alone. But I did great! NYC is not for the faint of heart nor for people who are afraid of rats, drunks or crazies. Today I went with the flow of the city and enjoyed every minute of it. 

Going alone made me feel the city through my senses so much clearer than with company. Exiting Penn Station you are hit with the smell of garbage, cigarette smoke and pizza all mixed together. It made my throat very dry but I avoided water because if you are not from NYC you don't know where the next decent toilet is!

I swore we would NEVER ride the metro again after we saw a rat party between the train tracks holding an aerobics class to the music of Madonna. There were the rats, giant and elated in their sweatpants clapping and kicking to "Just like a dream." and keeping myself from screaming hysterically was very very tough. Not today. I was ready for the rats! I did not want to walk 100 city blocks so took the N train south to NYU then back up to 57th and 5th Ave. One rat, two rat, three rats, four. I didn't budge. If the business ladies in 5 inch heels and office men didn't squirm, neither would I. 

NYC really grew on me today. I felt comfortable with myself navigating around the city with ease (and a luggage of a purse). The weather called for rain so that could mean a sprinkle or a torrential downpour. I went prepared with the best purse on earth. My Kate Spade satchel called the "Roland Park Cecilia" named after the sweetest park where I used to live in Baltimore.
in action!
a more accurate view

 She has become my favorite purse and can fit a book, wallet, banana, jacket, and umbrella while still looking sharp (though weighing like a brick!). Off we went, my Roland bag and I to our meeting then had our banana like civilized people in the food court of Columbus Circle. 

Here are some pictures of the day!

Macy's on 34th Street. It reminds me of the old movie "Miracle on 34th St."

directing traffic

I love the old Macy's entrance on the left.

9th St. and 3rd Ave by NYU


painting away

 One of the best parts of riding the NYC metro are the mosaics in the older stations. These were by NYU.


The University.

does the sculpture look familiar?

the hotdog stand in the back is my favorite! I'm happy someone made a mosaic of that!

Columbus circle on a sunny day!

Rizzoli bookstore. Only my favorite bookstore in NYC.


They are in a large old library and have a sweet collection of high quality books in Italian, French and Spanish.

Herald Square

Reading "Rules of Civility" on my way home
It's funny because the book I am reading "Rules of Civility" takes place in 1937 NYC and all the places mentioned in the book are places I now regularly see. I wouldn't recommend the book to read though...it is for my book club and I would rate it a 5 out of 10. The style is forced, the dialog is predictable and rude. I do like that the writer mentions other authors in the book but most of it just seems forced and out of any real historical context of 1937 NYC.  

Comments

Popular Posts