Sunny Pretty DC

After not eating properly for a few days I had enough and decided to go fetch my chef in DC. I took the NJ Transit train to Penn Station, NYC and stepped out into the city for a snapshot while I waited for the Amtrak.

I have to say that the Amtrak train from NYC to DC is really fast and super comfortable. The seats are as big as first class seats on a plane and the ride is smooth and pretty.



 A s I got closer to DC I loved seeing the countryside change from barely spring with a mix of winter to full spring with a hint of summer. My stomach rumbled with the train and I couldn't wait to catch up with my chef. 

 There was the chef at his hotel, twiddling his thumbs in boredom of missing his kitchen. What to cook. What to cook?! The only option was the waffle machine at the mediocre continental breakfast that American Inn offered. Alas, the waffle machine was overtaken by hotel cleaning staff who were busy making a stack of waffles for themselves, for co-workers, relatives, and extras just in case they forgot someone. He had enough! 
five waffles for me, none for you

throw out the trash and make another waffle for my friend. He's hungry. 

So he hopped over to the Beacon Hotel near Dupont Circle that cost less and offered 5 star service. Stylish, clean and the staff was helpful and professional.


 No more waiting for waffles here!

We loved going around DC. It is one of my very most favorite cities. DC is clean. The streets are wide. 















summer is here!

fancy condos built in old factories



love Georgetown



Georgetown streets are charming


Georgetown University


The DC professionals all dress alike like little Kennedys: pearls, flat shoes, solid colors, lined skirts, cardigans. Repeat. Flip flops on Fridays. 


Everyone seriously looks at their smart phones on the subway. The flexibility for fashion is limited. Don't even think of putting on some fabulous harem pants here! The ambiance is relaxed but not lazy, polished but not pretentious, welcoming but not gushing. 


I bet all Rome, NYC and DC T-shirts are made in the same dingy factory in China. Boycott them!

note: in DC you will not find the statues proudly displaying their power like in Rome. The American naked statues are unrealistically tall, Germanic and magically have their towel flying over their obelisk.

Viva ITALIA!!!! 





I even like the homeless in DC. They usually terrify me but not in DC. Why? Well in DC you never know if if a homeless guy or gal is a professor, senator or homeless dude. They all sort of smell like whiskey and sweat and walk around looking intense and above your level of understanding. Probably some homeless dudes are philosophy professors or senators who never make it home to their shower before the next meeting. 


We had a great time in DC. All of the museums are free so we strolled over to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. Adults never get tired of seeing dino's and cool animals. 








 The chef got hungry....
mmmm....vongole con spaghetti...

Pesce arrosto al forno con le patate e rosemarino...

Zuppa di pesce...

pesce alla griglia

fette di pesce al cartoccio
 Once we thought of all the ways to eat the marine exhibition we moved like cavemen into the neanderthal to homo sapiens exhibit.

skulls collected from neanderthals to homosapiens.

killing animals for food.
 Let me just pause to say I would have most likely died in childhood had I lived 144444 million years ago. I get queasy with blood, cringe at the thought of violence and cannot handle smelly people. Hence death by eating only berries would have been my demise.
I wonder if bigger brains really helped or hindered mankind.




Cave ladies liked necklaces.

Neanderthals today like necklaces too.



El Gordo in hybernation





Kitty took his Happy Meal to-go.



I had no idea!










Before we left DC we headed to 2Amys: only THE BEST authentic Neapolitan Pizzeria in DC.










all done

Then we headed home and made a pit stop in Baltimore.



Johns Hopkins Medical University


Getting all my nutrients and minerals the light way.

I loved the drive home, especially all the country road signs.They usually go like this: fireworks, Cracker Barrel, Gentlemen's Club, country store, mini golf, repeat. 













All in all it was a beautiful sunny warm weekend.


Comments

Popular Posts