Pigs and Peaches

There is a border between spring and summer that brings out some of the sweetest softest fruit and also the time when little critters such as pigs give birth. I think pork chops roasted with a peach glaze sounds delicious, however this blog focuses on both pigs an peaches prior to cooking and eating.

A couple days ago I had the joy of going to a farm with one of my friends. She wanted to show me the baby animals that were growing. There was a calf that looked annoyed with new people stomping around on her home.
The farmer was busy feeding very greedy sheep:
New to the world

Mama and baby

The little one on the left still managed to wiggle in and get a spot to reach the feeding bowl


Then walked down to the barn where I heard what sounded like my fat cat, Fatty, eating: gentle content snorts and heavy breathing. As we walked around the side of the barn I saw these cute fat babies:

Fat baby pigs basking in the sun on the mud...now this reminds me of Fatty and what he did in this blog

snort snort snort. Check out the mom in the back. It looks like she has a migraine since she is in the dark. Ah, I can understand...

Check out the little swirly tail of the baby pig on the right. Isn't it cute?


Right now it is also what they call "cherry thunderstorm season" in Italy. Around the end of May to beginning of June is the time when all stone fruits (Peaches, cherries and nectarines) are ready to eat. However, this season of cold and hot air mixing also creates some pretty spectacular storms, hence "cherry thunderstorms" since the storms hit at cherry harvesting season. We went to the grocery store a few days ago and stocked up on our fruits for the week. Ironically, event though peaches are some of the softest and sweetest, they are also sprayed generously with pesticides. Our peaches get a spa treatment as they get home to wash off most of those pesticides. I loved seeing them bob up and down in the water and thought they looked happy. What do you think?
"They call me Bob"

The kitchen has smelled so sweet from the scent of the peaches. I wish other fruits smelled as nice as peaches and nectarines.

Comments

  1. Peaches sound so heavenly right now.

    The book was 'The Thirteenth Tale' by Diane Setterfield. It was very interesting (possibly scandalous) but I mostly read it quickly because I needed to finish it for book group. But I would still recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts