NYC and Winter Activities

We strategically trekked into NYC this weekend.

The strategy was the same one would use when going into the mountains or some rugged trail. You see, NYC was 9 degrees F and with 40 mile per hour winds it felt like -10 F. The night before going we ate like marathon runners fueling up on carbohydrates before a big run. We carefully planned which layers to wear, how much cream to put on our already chapped hands and how much coffee was ok to have for breakfast because if you need to use the bathroom in NYC it is bad news. For one, you have to find a public bathroom. Any given public bathroom in February in NYC will be a warm house for several dozen wild homeless people till the end of March and you feel like your are using the bathroom in someone's personal home without their permission. Then, when using the bathroom, you have to decide if to take your coat off or roll the puffer up while you try to roll 4 layers of underclothes down and by then the toilet paper you covered the toilet seat with has dropped to the wet ground that you hope is melted snow but you know is human urine. Using public bathrooms is one of the top things I hate and I purposely dehydrate myself to avoid the possibility of needing to use one. Oh, how I hate the winter here....but the time we had in NYC was worth the hassle of planning and accomplishing the trip there.







We walked from Penn Station uptown to 57th street to a classical music concert. I never thought that I would enjoy theater shows or concerts but have found a special part in my heart for them.
Broadway is bursting with creativity





The music was sublime 


My favorite part of the day in NYC were the horses in Central Park.




We hurried home trying to beat an incoming snow storm. Today we were snowed in.




 We usually get really bored on snow days and dream of all the activities we could do if we were in a warmer climate or even an assisted living center. Life here is so quiet with the exception of the howling wind alternating with snow plows clearing the snow and making holes in the pavement. Today I told myself that I wouldn't sit stir crazy waiting for the minutes to pass and the day to blend into the next day. So I cleaned, and washed clothes, and risked my neck driving on 3 inches of compacted ice to the supermarket to buy good ricotta to make a good baked pasta for tomorrow when I will have to go to work and come home frozen in a block. One thing I have learned now that I am a "working woman" is to be my own best friend and that means making her favorite food and freezing it for days when I come home exhausted from work. I have cheered myself up by coming home and finding a slightly but good oatmeal cookie waiting for me. "Thank you, best friend, for making me that cookie two weeks ago and freezing it." "You are welcome, best friend, and why don't you get a stay-at-home job so you don't have to plan a cookie an advance?" "Because if I stayed at home I would talk to myself much more than is healthy, best friend." One snow day and I am getting a bit batty.

Anyway, on the kitten front, we have kept them busy and ourselves entertained.

Comments

Popular Posts