Fall and a Few Books

My mom accused me the other day of no longer entertaining her with my blogs. My reason? Bad feng shui. Ever since we moved the desks from one room to another room in our house I feel like my writing spot doesn't exist anymore. My old spot was in the corner of our little office, next to the bookcase and was very tight but cozy. Now it's in the big ol'master bedroom and I feel like there is too much space around to write. My words will float up in the air and get lost! You need little corners to write. Big rooms don't fit the bill. It's like trying to cook an egg on a giant bbq grill. It doesn't work. So my blog has been ignored. I will hunt around the house for a writing spot and see if I can find a new one so that this winter I can freely write during all the snow days when the weather demands that I stay indoors eating brownies and blogging. I will really need that spot during hibernation.

So, (mama), here is a blog for you on what I have been up to since I last blogged. I will try to catch up.
1. We went to Ellis Island, NY (or is it Jersey)? We did! We went in a ferry boat (wouldn't life be better if they were called fairy boats?) so we went in a ferry boat to the island and I had an earache and just about cried from the pain the whole way in the boat because it was windy. It made me think of all of those poor immigrants who had earaches and were coming from Europe and sailing into Ellis Island. Then I decided to be a tough immigrant and deal with it like they would have.



Upon our arrival we were given a grand tour by some kid who thought he knew everything about the immigrants and how nicely they were treated by American Immigration Officials. Well, he was wrong. Most immigrants were handled roughly and suffered while in Ellis Island.

Luggage from immigrants who passed through Ellis Island. 

The ship registration with passengers names. 

"Vintage" signs from Ellis Island's cafeteria

The facility had an air of sadness about it, like a graveyard of orphaned school children, that type of sadness. We normally love museums but this one didn't sit right with us. So we ate a vegetarian panino (which was delicious) and left.

2. We went to the Statue of Liberty. I made it there! It was incredible mostly because all of the people going to see it were not American. It made me realize how important the USA's symbol of freedom is for the world.


3. Let's see....OH! Fall started and the colors are really pretty. I forgot how much I missed the fall colors in Italy. So I am reminding myself daily to relish them entirely and to eat as many pumpkin treats as I can.

4. I read 2 more books. But I should probably do a book review on those, and will.

5. I started a class a class on teaching English as a second language. At first I was skeptical about it, but it has been...a riot of a good time. The teacher reminds me of a fairy godmother, like the one in Cinderella, and all of the students have a sense of humor. I have been more entertained in this class than I have been paying to see several Broadway musicals. Seriously, the crazy people in class making me laugh take the Tony. The class has been long hours on the weekends so I have been ignoring house and home. However, learning how to teach has made me trust my abilities much more than I did when I lived in Italy. There, I wanted to teach but had no idea where to start. Now I feel really confident (like a TV spokesperson for TeleUniversity.edu) now I feel confident in my abilities.

Other notable things that have happened:

A plane flew really close to the car while I was waiting in line to pay my toll:





Awesome

Oh, and we went hiking to see some waterfalls in a place that was for advanced hikers. We ended up getting wiped out after the first mile or so. But since we are both stubborn we kept hiking, and the next day we could barely move.



Then the Chef cooked some sausage that looked like poop, but tasted really good.


So, now I should get to reviewing the books I read before I forget them.

Comments

Popular Posts