Frog and Toad and a Cat

The very long first winter here made me prepare for the second one like a squirrel:

1. Bought giant puffy down blanket from Germany and had it shipped here from Deutcheland. It's been varmen und gut und de bessen thingen ich could've boughten. I made a Santa/Minnie Mouse inspired duvet cover for it thinking that it would keep us happy during the long weeks of hibernation. The thing is enormously puffy and warm.

And the company I bought it from was great to work with the owner spoke English (emailed me to reasure me of my choice in blanket), Google translated the website, and I did all my research to make sure the geese the feathers were from were humanely sourced, the blanket was made with allergy protection, and the covering material was of good cotton. I read on down federation websites, I researched feather and bird information like an expert and in the end these blankets kept us warm, allergy free and feeling like we are sleeping under the fluff of El Gordo. The best part? They cost the same as the tortured-Chinese-geese blankets from Costco.

2. Planted tulips in October to give me something to look forward to.

3. Bought enough toilet paper and cat food to last us for one year.

4. Monitored the weather with the chef's curls. The direction they point in tells me not only how the weather will be, but what kind of day is ahead: good, bad, fun, horrid...etc.
Today there was a tsunami curl. One type that I had never seen curling enormously over the horizon and with huge height. Something big must be about to happen.

Watch out for the Tsunami curl!
Other types of curls are:

A blizzard is coming curls

The Godfather curls...watch out or you might find a horses head in your bed. 

Migraine curls: the weather is changing rapidly

Wild cooking curls: dinner will be delicious but stay out of my way till I'm done. Oh and the kitchen will be a disaster by the time I'm finished.

Gerber baby curls: Everyone is getting along today.

Friar tuck curls: be silent like a monk


Wild forest curls: the day will be insane.

So enough about curls. When I was a little girl, I loved reading the series of stories of Frog and Toad. My favorite was the one where Toad plated seeds and stood next to them daily whispering "Grow seeds! Grow!" and watching every single day to see if his seeds grew.

Here when it snowed a million feet I felt like the snow would never melt. But you know what? It did! And I have been like Toad out there every morning watching the snow melt drop by drop and my little seeds starting to sprout. Last spring I planted seeds and not one of them grew. So this year I feel amazed that something I put in the ground is actually growing like a real plant!

Check it out:










They are coming out!



In kitten  news...we have been spring cleaning around here and one little kitten had a very ratty well-loved bed. We decided to toss that bed into the garbage and give kitten (Bentley) a new bed (an old pillow covered with an old shirt  tucked into the kitty carrier. I thought it looked very comfortable). Mr. Kitten didn't like that so much so he looked at us with GIANT eyes and spent the rest of the day smacking El Gordo around since we didn't toss the bed of The Fat One away. Poor Bentley. It must be hard to be an old cat with arthritis and see your bed get thrown away. I really do feel guilty. He howled at the window while I walked to the dumpster and tossed it it.
Life isn't fair
An injured soul.


Comments

Popular Posts