Food on the Foggy Horizon

It is funny how suddenly summer ended and fall began.
Winter is charging around the bend

For example, the temperature was over 100 degrees for the last week of August then dropped to 68 degrees with light fog, heavy winds and thundering rain at night. The sudden change in temperature changed my view point from "I'm boiling on the surface of the sun" to memories of drearily peeking out the window day after day and seeing thick fog, so dense you could take a knife, slice a piece of the fog, and serve it with whipped cream on the side, or on top of your coffee to make a cappuccino. Thinking of seeing the sun during the winter in Northern Italy is not possible. The Alps are gloriously here but hidden behind the wall of fog so you can't see them. The lake is here but behind the fog you can only see a puddle. When you drive the fog lights only reflect on more fog and on country roads it is best to go extra carefully to avoid the occasional neurotic biker out there in his speedos trying to keep in shape.

The best thing about winter (October - May) in the Garda Lake region is the food. I clap my hands in joy  now that I know what the food is like here and what I have to look forward to. My morning summer jogs will be traded for winter evenings exercising my jaws. The best foods I had last year were all pig products, thanks to the pork industry here. I was thrilled that my fiance got Christmas gifts from country clients in the form of different meats such as sausage, salami, roasted pork and baskets of fruit, chocolate and nuts. mmmmm...

Sorry Wilbur, Charlotte couldn't save you and we are having you for dinner.
So cute


So, while I don't have pictures of the winter foods to come, I will post a few of my favorite foods so far. I adore fried calimari.
How it starts: slimy and like a sea-monster

How it ends: crispy, salty and great with a wheat beer or cold chardonnay

Then there is my favorite: mussles with an olive oil and lemon dressing.
Wash the mussels very well before cooking

  My new favorite pasta is a thick tube pasta (from Naples) with a homemade tomatoe and basil sauce.
Extra Virgin olive oil, tomatoes and parmesan cheese make this meal a delicious comfy dinner  winner for any belly.

 The other thing I have come to appreciate, slowly, but fully are the wines. I'm in no way a wine expert but like I love make-up, shoes, books and food I am starting to love wines with time. The vineyards around slope over the hills for miles and miles. They are delicate, historical and unique. Each vineyard comes with it's own type of grape that produces a wine with a different level of sweetness and aroma differing from other wines. The kind of wine you drink with a meal helps not only metabolize the food but is really like a brother to the meal. Just like pizza goes with coke, peanut butter with jelly and oatmeal with raisins: wine just goes very well with its pairing of food.
Sweet, robust and hearty before (also a great fresh snack)
Sliky, light and sweet after (and enjoyed more if served from the hand of the one you love)
 The reputation of wine makers here goes back centuries. They have reason to be proud to grow some of the most complex and beautiful wines of the world. Although my passion is higher for the food, I appreciate it when there is a great match of wine. It's like wearing the right shoes with the right outfit, it just feels better if you have the right wine combination.


I should dedicate one blog, or more to the wonders of pasta, all the things and events it is useful for and some of the easiest and tastiest recipes I've had here so far. For now, that is all. Oh, and the ham festival is this week to set things off. http://www.festivaldelprosciuttodiparma.com/prosciutto_parma/default.aspx

Comments

Popular Posts