Meet William and Harry!

 Last week, on December 8th, Santa had his bag bouncing around in the North Pole and out flew two orange kittens into our house. They are red and white Maine Coon brothers and love being best friends during the day and proclaiming war against each other every night. It made perfect sense to call them William and Harry as a result.




"Don't you dare...."

The real story: my mom in law and I decided to go to the animal shelter where I had met and bought Fatty and Bentley many years ago. I wanted to visit the same cat room where I had met my best fur friends. As we approached the building we saw a sign, an actual sign "Free Pets Today". My mom in law looked at me and told me not to wait for her, as getting her motor moving can take a little time. I saw the sense of urgency in her gaze as she glared at a woman dashing towards the cat room. My mom in law looked at me to let me know, I better get in there. 


I dashed into the cat room, like if it were Black Friday and all chocolate in the world was free and waiting for me. And as I entered the room, I froze. There, in the cage near where I had gotten Fatty and Bentley were two tiny terrified fluffy faces looking at me. Above the disfunctional noise hearing loud barks from the canine room next door, I tried to think straight. I didn't come for a kitten, what is going on here? I came for closure and to say goodbye to the place that gave me my Fattness and Bentley. History has a funny way of repeating itself, next to me stood the woman I had outrun, looking at the kittens, fully prepared to take only one. 



One of the two kittens had a severely broken paw and was much less developed than his brother. No one wanted the hurt kitten, they only wanted the healthy one. My mother in law entered the feline room and I explained to her what was going on as she looked at the kittens. She looked at them and no doubt saw what I saw, Bentley and Fatty looking at us 21 years later in the faces of these scared little kittens. The woman next to us informed us that she was fully prepared to take the healthy one as a Christmas toy for her 3 year old child. My mom in law told me with her eyes to go, and do what I needed to do to take both. 

I immediately went to the front desk and provided all the paperwork needed to get both kittens. However, we weren't ready for a cat! We had just thrown out Bentley's litter box, beds, and toys. I didn't even have a carrier with me. My mom in law, who speaks no English, informed me she would stay with the kittens and stand guard while I ran to the pet store to but basic things for them like a litter box and food. She told the woman interested in one, to not pet him, for he was now ours. 




The kittens arrived in a cardboard animal transportation box, just like Bentley and Fatty had many years ago. They spent the first couple of days cowering in terror from us, the "monsters", behind the cat crate. We were worried they would never come out. However, they eventually did tip toe out, the sound of food enticing them. We noticed that the healthier one really protected the little one and that they refused to eat without each other. As the days past, we further discovered that they are little climbing, dashing cottonballs.


They love to lovingly nap together from noon to 6 pm.




Little Harry

Little chubby William


From 6 pm till who knows when, they become buck wild lightning bolts, dashing and tumbling, climbing and rolling, squatting, and jumping in the air before landing in a triple lutz and skating away into a corner before dashing out of it again. I swear I burn calories just watching them. 

Pest control

The torch has been passed





Welcome home, little William and Harry. We are absolutely in love with you both. May our adventure begin and last many years!


Comments

Popular Posts